Well, it’s been a while…I’ve been making slow progress but doing a poor job of photographing it. My workshop is now fully insulated and I’m working on getting it finished off.

With regards to the guitar, I did the frets a while back but forgot to take pics. I cut the slots by hand with a mitre box and a pax fret saw.

IMG_1348.jpg

 

Next up I drilled holes for & installed plastic side dots. Normally I use mother of pearl dots but I don’t have any on hand.

IMG_1361.JPG

 

Next up was the headplate. This was holding me back, and partly the reason I didn’t work on this for a good while. My headstock shape is very wide at the top and I couldn’t fit a matching ebony headplate for this build. I finally sucked it up and decided just to use Ziricote. It will look fine in the end (actually, it should look great – Ziricote is absolutely beautiful) and it’s a dark wood of close-ish colour so it won’t look out of place.

IMG_1364.JPG

 

Of course, I didn’t have any Ziricote wide enough either. So I used a piece that was not quite wide enough, leaving a piece to be filled. I found a colour-match offcut and attached it with CA glue.

IMG_1365.JPG

 

Once trimmed flush it looks perfect! After sanding it will be impossible to distinguish from the rest of the headplate.

IMG_1371.JPG

 

And here it is as it currently stands…that is my original pickguard from the first prototype. It won’t fit this guitar because I altered the pickup spacing, I will have to make another one at some point.

IMG_1374.JPG

Advertisements